Data Encryption and Durability

I’d like to understand how I can be sure about data privacy and durability.
I’ve read old questions and answers but, maybe, in the last year the protocol advanced.

The use case is:

• storing private data in Filecoin (is it safe?)
  • be sure of data durability and availability
  • share some parts with other actors

Are there explorations of this use case?

storing private data in Filecoin (is it safe?)

Assuming you’re encrypting with a currently secure symmetric cipher (like AES-128), then I guess you’re making a bet that AES will remain unbroken forever, or for the time period that you need the data to remain confidential (which usually isn’t forever – presumably we all plan to be dead at some point in the future). But you are making the same bet every time you enter private data into an ssh or https session, right? I don’t see any difference there.

be sure of data durability and availability

I’m wondering about this one also. How can a storage client verify – independent of the PoRep mechanism in the protocol – that the data is still retrievable? The only way I can think of is to do periodic trial retrievals, each time making sure you get back your data unmodified. That will cost some FIL in the retrieval market, but I don’t see any other way.

Interested in others’ answers as well!

Availability :

Actually, Filecoin automatically query the miner and present challenge to solve proving they have the data thanks to some crypto tricks (using some zero-knowledge cryptography, if you want to do some research). The monitoring of the miner is free token-wise, and cheap network-wise. This whole process is called Proof of Storage and come in two different flavors depending on the needs. I think there is a post on the filecoin blog, but I’m on mobile right now, so I’ll let you find it

Got it: