Getting started questions

I am very interested in Filecoin mining and abstractly (part of the dApp movement).
I am having trouble getting started following the Wiki directions.
First conceptually: I chose Ubuntu 18.0.4.2 LTS since Windows is not supported. (Most crypto miners I talk to use Windows.) I use Linux on a regular basis but not a power user or dev. My mining rig has AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, 32 GB RAM, and 10 GB SSD disk for applications/OS and a 10 TB HDD for storage including Filecoin storage.

The default install is on my SDD with the Linux OS. I am having trouble getting the parameter files installed. Using the paramcache command I was able to begin the process, but it seems that it consumes most of my free space on SSD.

Am I correct in assuming I should store the parameter folder/files on my 10 TB disk? Should I install the entire Filecoin directory and application on the 10 TB disk? If so, can you provide guidance on configuration to do this considering that my OS is on a different partition?

Hi, great question! You’ll probably need to store your parameters on the larger disk, but it shouldn’t be an issue installing go-filecoin itself on the smaller one. I believe you should be able to symlink the directories to make this work, but I’m afraid I’m not sure of the exact setup you’ll need.

I’ve brought your question to the attention of some team members that should be able to help, but unfortunately they’re traveling at the moment. We should have a more detailed answer for you later today.

1 Like

Hi @stuberman,

The files generated by paramcache (or downloaded by paramfetch) can be quite large. The ZigZag PoRep and VDF PoSt parameters for 256MiB sectors combine to ~2GiB on my computer.

Am I correct in assuming I should store the parameter folder/files on my 10 TB disk?

If disk space is a concern, you can change the directory into which parameters are written, downloaded, and read. By default, parameters will be read from /tmp/filecoin-proof-parameters/. To change this to a different location (perhaps a disk which contains more available space), set the FILECOIN_PARAMETER_CACHE environment variable. You’ll need to set this variable when downloading parameters (using paramfetch) or generating them locally (with paramcache). You’ll need to ensure the same environment variable is set in the shell which uses the go-filecoin binary.

For example:

FILECOIN_PARAMETER_CACHE=/tmp/some-other-dir ./paramfetch --all
FILECOIN_PARAMETER_CACHE=/tmp/some-other-dir ./go-filecoin init
FILECOIN_PARAMETER_CACHE=/tmp/some-other-dir ./go-filecoin daemon

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further problems.

Erin

2 Likes