Having issues getting synced, freezes and 3 day+ wait

Hi there, I’ve been trying to set up a test rig for mining on filecoin’s testnet using Lotus, but have been running into synchronization issues. First off I’d like to mention that my current hardware doesn’t meet the minimal example that Lotus recommends for sealing 32GB, and I am wondering if that is causing issues. I was planning on simply trying to get things running before adding better hardware and more storage.

Specs below:
Mobo: ASRock H110 Pro BTC+
Storage: M.2 WD Green 120GB
CPU: Celeron Dual Core
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Integrated Graphics

As for the issues I am having when syncing, I’m unsure exactly how much progress is actually being made towards full synchronization from the Lotus output. The first attempt at syncing worker 0 reached the target height of 70801, and then when I came back the next day the height had gone back down to zero with a new target of around 100k, which makes sense due to the testnet’s chain being around that height. It took me over 3 days to get to that point, at which I unfortunately had to move my rig to a new location, which meant powering off and shutting the process down.

When I rebooted and began syncing again, it’s like all of the progress was completely lost. The syncing started from height zero again with a target of 70801. I was disappointed but I let it run again for another few days. After a few days I realized that the syncing actually froze after slowing down significantly at around 50k height.

Also something I don’t understand is why there is more than one worker, but with blank info i.e
worker 1:
Base: []
Target:[] (0)
Height diff: 0
Stage: <unknown: 0>
Height: 0
worker 2:
Base: []
Target:[] (0)
Height diff: 0
Stage: <unknown: 0>
Height: 0

If anyone could answer any of these questions I would appreciate it very much. I’d really like to be a part of supporting filecoin but have been having trouble setting up.

Hi @jinko,

The current testnet was just reset yesterday so may be easier to sync, but we also have a Devnet called interop with smaller 512MB sectors that may be easier for you to test on.

See https://filecoinproject.slack.com/archives/CPFTWMY7N/p1592345686054100

Thanks for the reply. I will try to see if either of those will work for testing my rig.

Is there any way that I could get an invite to the filecoin slack or is it just for the main devs?

@jinko Filecoin Slack is open to the public. Link is at filecoin.io or you can use this:

1 Like