Help me get started

Pretty pathetic request for help, I know… but…
I have a pretty crappy, old dell computer with the below specs that I can run 24/7 off of solar power, is there any way I can get started with filecoin mining with this system? I am not looking to make much coin here, just want to leave it on all day to make chump change (if possible).

windows 10 - will lotus be available soon?
CPU: intel i5-3230M @ 2.60 GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 logical processors
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 630M
RAM: 8 GB
SSD: 500 GB
HDD: 110 GB

Thank you for your help!

You might be able to run a node for a wallet, But won’t be able to mine - computer specs are pretty high.

Hi @ttaggg,

For your old PC x Storage Mining, 8 GB of RAM is probably too little for sealing a sector because it’s recommended to have at least a few times the size of a sector in terms of memory. Right now the minimum sector size is 32 GB for mainnet (although all specs may be subject to change) so for testing configurations 64 GB or 128 GB of RAM are used. You could use part of the SSD as swap memory but it may take a very long time to seal data.

You might be able to use your old PC for Retrieval Mining later on though. The Retrieval Market will be further developed after launch and may depend more on locality, bandwidth, caching strategies, etc.

For Windows 10, you can install the Windows Subsystem for Linux to run Lotus with any recommended Linux distro. A Windows developer has tried it and said it works well.

The hardware specs are currently pretty high as @Koru says because the security of the default parameters used in the network are most important for launch. But it’s likely that hardware specs will evolve after launch as the proofs are further optimized and more markets (like for retrieval and repair or outsourcing SNARKs x GPU) to support the protocol and help miners diversify are likely to arise.

I’d say don’t even try without 128 GB RAM and 200+ GB swap.

1 Like