How exactly to point Lotus to long-term data storage path?

Ok, now I see (correct me please if I’m wrong) that as a miner I can do two things:

1. Sealing - and this job need some fast storage to speedup the process;
  2. Storing - and for this job we can use a rotational HDDs.

But in Lotus docs I can’t find any HOWTO on how to point lotus to separate custom folders on different drives.
In my case I have 256 GB root partition, 256 GB swap partition (both on NVME) and 13 HDDs 10 Tb each.
How exactly can I set some folder on NVME for sealing (any config options, Env variables or smth)? What should I do with HDDs to make it all work as a Filecoin storage? Should I create RAID5 or should I point Lotus to all these HDDs separately?

I have some tips from Slack, but let’s combine all instructions in one place.

2 Likes

I also have this same question. Any luck @Rabinovitch? I am getting “no space left on device” running the node - not even mining yet.
I’ll mention that I was able to get around the /var/tmp location filling error during miner init on Ubuntu 20LTS using this:
export TMPDIR=/mnt/data

Yep. I spent all this time on Slack channel, and now I know much more things…

First, you can move filecoin-proof-parameters and filecoin-parents (if you have initialized lotus-miner or plan to do so) to external drive to save your NVME space. You can do it by setting environment variables
FIL_PROOFS_PARENT_CACHE= and FIL_PROOFS_PARAMETER_CACHE=.

About different paths for sealing and storing, you can do like this:

lotus-miner storage attach --init --store /home/rabinovitch/lotus_store
lotus-miner storage attach --init --seal /home/rabinovitch/lotus_seal

Join filecoinproject.slack.com, there are much more chances to get support there.

1 Like

Thank you for that. I’ve added it to my notes.

Also, I found this environment variable on the Lotus FAQ:
LOTUS_STORAGE_PATH=
at: https://docs.lotu.sh/en+faqs

I wonder if there is an advantage to using that. I see in the slack you mentioned other cache folders as well?

That is how this envar can be used.

Other envars which allow to change storage paths for various lotus and lotus-miner data (so as some other interesting envars) described here.