Not decentralize or capable of dApp (web3) response times?

After reading your FAQ filecoin appears to be neither decentralized like IPFS

After I made a deal with a miner, and sent my data to them, how exactly is the data supposed to be recoverable and healable if that miner goes down?

Automatic repair of faulted data is a feature we’ve pushed off until after mainnet launch. For now, the way to ensure resiliency is to store your data with multiple miners, to gain some level of redundancy. If you want to learn more about how we are thinking about repair in the future, here are some notes.

nor fast enough to support the response times of a dApp or web3?

How fast will retrieval be from the Filecoin network?

If you are retrieving your data from IPFS or a remote pinning layer such as an FPS, retrieval should take on the order of milliseconds to seconds in the worst case. Our latest tests for retrieval from the Filecoin network directly show that a sealed sector holding data takes ~1 hour to unseal. 1-5 hours is our best real world estimate to go from sector unsealing to ultimate delivery of the data. If you need faster data retrieval for your application, we recommend building on Powergate or an FPS.

So what did we get here? A decentralized “MARKETPLACE” for centralized storage? If true that’s fine, but my expectation were higher, maybe be more transparent about that, set my expectation better? Are those still the goals? What’s the eta?

Hi @jacksmeoff2020,

neither decentralized like IPFS

Filecoin is launching as a core storage market protocol. Anyone can make storage deals with any storage miner on the network. Until the retrieval and repair markets are further developed after mainnet launch, it is recommended clients store multiple copies of their data with multiple miners to ensure resiliency and retrievability. Please clarify what aspect of this you find centralized. In IPFS, your data is only saved on a node if it is pinned. Filecoin and IPFS are intended to work together and you can currently do that with tools for dapp developers such as Powergate which uses both.

centralized storage

Storage is not centralized, it is provided by a market of storage miners on the network.

response times of a dApp or web3?

Filecoin’s proofs currently take time to seal and unseal data. These proofs verify that your data is uniquely stored on some physical storage in the world. If you need faster response times you can use IPFS alongside Filecoin using Powergate as described above. They are meant to work in tandem.

Filecoin is launching as a core protocol with many roadmap features that will evolve after mainnet launch.