I was redirected here from slack and hope this is the correct place to post this.
I’m working on a report comparing the FileCoin(FC) protocol and the Chia Protocol and would like it if one or more people could confirm or clarify some of the conclusions I make.
The full report is here(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u2i4WnGaM1gjzIVATBUBucSFD4HyofoVMWHMbSYyIC4/edit?usp=sharing), it was in response to a podcast I listened to with Bram Cohen as the guest. This is a more condensed list of specific points I make throughout the report and would like to be fact checked if possible.
- “It was in Protocol Labs’ File Coin white paper, published July 19 2017, that the first mention of Proof of Spacetime, that I can find, was published.” Is it actually the earliest mention of Proof of Spacetime?
- Name collisions are semantic errors and not syntax errors?
- Chia’s Proof of Space and File Coin’s Proof of Replication are both different forms of Proof of Storage.
- File Coin’s ProRep includes a modified Proof of Data Possession and Proof of Retrievability. Modified to achieve resilience to Sybil, Outsourcing, and Generatio attacks.
- Chia’s PoSp is a modified PoS modified for Grinding attacks(digging double-dipping) and short/long range attacks
This is where I began feeling a little out of my depth
- File Coin’s PoSt and Chia’s VDF are Proofs of Sequential work: https://eprint.iacr.org/2018/183.pdf. I know in the filecoin paper PoSt is grouped under your novel proofs of storage along with ProRep but what I was trying to do was find the PoSt counterpart in Chia which I think is their VDF. If I’m just way off base here could you shed some light on how they’re different?
- Chia’s Green Paper doesn’t actually publish the term Proof of Time? I looked and all 150 instances of time in the paper are referencing the regular word and not a cryptographic proof.
- “Technically a PoS is a proof of work, just a proof of useful work specifically in relation to data.” True/False?
- Could FileCoin potentially do this? “FileCoin could potentially be made agnostic between Ethereum or Chia.” Rational taken from the FC white paper: “We integrate a Contracts system… and a Bridge system to bring Filecoin storage in other blockchain[s], and viceversa, to bring other blockchains’ functionalities in Filecoin.”
- Idk if you’re involved in this but I found this paper titled “Proofs of Replicated Storage Without Timing Assumptions”. Would the implementation of this result in the merging of your ProRep and PoSt into a single functional proof?
I know this may be dense but if anyone has the time I would really appreciate this
PS: I would have linked more but new user and limited to 2